Thursday

Another entry about Lost!

There's something very important I forgot to mention at the end of the last entry. It is this: Last night, I uttered the sentence, "The fellow was actually rather shirty with me." And I was not being ironic in the slightest.

Furthermore, I have decided that I have a problem. I tend to say affected things for dramatic purposes. However, I then have this habit of doing this so often that I actually wind up *saying* those things. Without irony. Such as today, when I was making up my PACKING LIST, I mentally noted how many pairs of underpants and pairs of bras I would need. Pairs of bras! What the hell! Seriously, I started saying this because I found it entertaining and atypical. I mean, really, if you can have a pair of pants, why can't you have a pair of bras? It's a unit item that covers two seperate yet related body parts. I guess. But the point is, when I thought this, I found the construction to be completely natural. This happens all the time! I worry that people will think I'm ill-educated or perhaps insane because I speak with affectations, but it doesn't sound like I am.

If that makes any sense.

What does this have to do with Lost? Nothing. This type of thing will have a lot of information that people who watch the show will already know, but may be useful to someone like Kirk or something.

[Begin Spoiler for Lost has Daddy Issues. Through "Deus Ex Machina." — Highlight to view]

So, as a person who has seen many shows by Joss Whedon, I have learned that fathers are the most horrible and hateful type of humans that exist. It's rare that you find a good one! Apparently. Even so, Lost seems to father issues. Let's discuss.

Jack
Jack of course has, well, the Daddy of daddy issues. Dad's a big ol' drunk, and a reasonabley jerky guy besides, and he's pretty much the basis for all Jack's adult hangups and neuroses. Yet Jack still follows his footsteps into the medical profession where he is a well respected man. Until his father has a nip too much before performing a surgery, and screws up in such a way that leads to the patient's death. Then Jack did the honorable thing and ratted out his dad, so he lost his job, his friends, ran off and eventually drank himself to death.

Kate
Not necessarily any daddy issues ... yet. I'm sure they're coming. Some people seem to believe that her "man she loved/killed" was in fact her father. And that's just weird, so we won't go there. What we do know, though, is that Kate hung out with her dad alot, and he taught her woodland expertise type things. So, she had some sort of functional relationship with him, which is more than most of the characters.

Sawyer
Father is a standard abuser who not-so-standardly murder-suicides Sawyer's parents.

Mercutio
Not necessarily father issues, (that I remember), but he has some issues with *being* a father. What with having his son kept from him for almost a decade and then having custody of this unknown son thrust upon him at the sudden death of his ex.

Walt
Mercutio is his dad. So, all that. Plus, his "dad" Brian secretly hated him and wanted to get rid of him because he's probably evil.

Sun
Her father is some kind of criminal kingpin, but she doesn't really know that. She probably knows something's up though, even if it's just that he seems to be a controlling jerk who tends to ruin people's lives.

Jin
His father is totally cool, but is poor and humble and all that, so Jin tells people that he's dead. Then he's overcome with guilt. Most of his daddy issues are really issues with his wife's daddy, who has totally ruined his life.

Boone
Boone actually has issues with his mother, which is kind of a refreshing change of pace.

Shannon
I don't think Shannon's relationship with her father is traumatic, per se. Her issue seems to be mainly that he's under the thumb of his new wife and doesn't give her any money. At least so far as I remember.

Naveen Andrews
We totally don't know anything about his parents.

Hurley
His father appears to be not in the picture, meaning he's probably dead or elsewhere, which would be issues in and of themselves, but so far it's not a main feature of his story.

Claire
Claire's pretty young to be supporting herself, so, that's probably something. But it's more likely that whatever issues she has are with both parents, not just her father. Though she does have issues with her baby daddy, as it were.

Charlie
We don't know anything about his parents, either. Though we do know he has some issues with God the Father.

Locke
The winner and new champion. Having passed through several decades of his life without ever knowing his biological parents, Locke's dad finally seeks him out via his mentally ill mother, promising her money she wants if she tracks their son down and points him in his general direction. He then fake-bonds with his long-lost son for the purpose of, wait for it, extorting a kidney from him. Son duped, organ received, he goes right back to keeping Locke out of his life.

Seriously!

[End Spoiler]

[Begin Spoiler for Some more questions, "Deus Ex Machina" — Highlight to view]

So, let's assume that Locke is right, and the island can actually exert its own will and power. Not that much of a stretch at this point. The question, then, is what does it want, and what did it intend?

First, did the island want Boone to pick up that receiver? In doing so, Boone's seemingly given the survivors a shot in getting off the island; it's possible that someone somewhere now knows there are survivors and will try to find them. Boone may have done everyone an enormous favor, but perhaps at the cost of his life. One thing is pretty clear: the island did not want Locke up in that plane. It told him there was a plane, and how to find it, but when they came to it, the island had Locke incapacitated. So we can assume that the island meant for Boone to get inside the plane. For what purpose? To kill him?

Inside the plane, Boone found some drugs and a body, but he also found a radio. Did the island want him to find that radio? After Boone found the radio is when the plane began to teeter out of the trees. Did the island not want him to use the radio? If Boone hadn't insisted on getting help to get off the island, would he have been able to get out of the plane? Is it because he was trying to get help that the island pushed the plane over? If he'd ignored it, would the island have let him live?

Maybe the point was to get rid of Boone. Locke was under the impression that he and Boone were both supposed to find the trap door, and they were both supposed to open it. But what if only Locke was supposed to open it? Boone was initially going to head back to camp on the night they found it. But since then he's been with Locke every day, and they've gotten closer, and they're in this together. So there's little chance that Locke would go out to the trapdoor without Boone with him. ...Unless something happened to Boone. And then if Locke wanted to go back (which he totally did), he'd have to go alone. And he did. And then the mysterious light came on.

As I've said before, Locke's totally not evil. And while he's totally on-board with being the emissary of the mystical island, this episode showed that he's not really clear on what's up with this island. I think all the things he's been doing to "help" the other survivors is his own agenda, his own do-gooding. And I think he probably does want to get off the island, and help everyone else get off. But what if that's not what the island wants him for? What if the island is, say, pure evil and wants to use Locke for evil purposes. Locke's not evil. But he's enamoured of the island. So will he figure it out? And if he does, what will he do?

[End Spoiler]

Please keep in mind that this is about 84% Crazy Speculation and needn't be taken seriously.

No comments: