Tuesday

[is confused ]

[Begin Spoiler for "Why We Fight" — Highlight to view]

Dear Mutant Enemy: Are you dicking with me?

What was the point of all that? Can someone explain that?

I feel that this entire episode was ill-advised.

[End Spoiler]


[Begin Spoiler for an edit of further thoughts — Highlight to view]

So, this episode was boring and lame. But moreover, it just bothered me. Because of the Nazis. It wasn't really that bad an episode. I can't rant and say it was horrible and devastating, because, really, it was just sort of ... there. But I've decided that I am fundamentally opposed to using Nazis as a plot device . It bothers me. So, I was unsettled by this episode. Why did they have to go there? Is my point.

So, Gunn is losing his lawyer knowledge. THIS IS OBVIOUS. (Unless it turns out that I'm wrong. Heh.) But, THIS IS OBVIOUS. It's one of the most obvious things that were ever obvious. Why? Because that was so completely unsubtle. About as subtle as Wesley calling Knox untrustworthy. GET IT? Because he likes Fred and is jealous of Knox! Which is why he's making such subtle comments about it! Both these lines had all the subtley of a sledgehammer. Gunn didn't stumble over that line like he was tired. He stumbled over it like his magically implanted legal knowledge was on the blink. That line serves no other person. BECAUSE IT IS SO OBVIOUS.

This episode did not do a lot to keep me awake this morning. As such, it wasn't until I was reading the TWoP recap just now that learned that some potentially amusing things were in there. Like when Angel said and wasn't going to be trapped at the bottom of the ocean, and Spike replied that he wasn't going to be experimented on by the government. Heh. Yeah, it's easy, but also amusing. Also, I missed the following gem from The Prince of Lies: "I will suck the brain from your skull and digest your thoughts like a sour pudding." Because, seriously? That line is awesome. If only I could get it to apply to more situations, I'd use it all the time. I also like the TWoP assessment of the actor, that he did a great impression of Willem Dafoe doing a great impression of Count Orlock. It's so true. I'm so sad he and the other guy died. They entertained me, and were the best thing about this episode. Oh, you know what else amused me, though? When the chap stated that he knew Angel when he was in his "patriotic phase" and then we immediately flash back to Angel sitting amongst newspapers looking solemn. Apparently, this wasn't meant to be funny, but it cracked me up, because I thought that *was* Angel in patriotic mode. Sort of like those posters that show "The Many Moods of Cats" where they have "happy," "sleepy," "patriotic," etc., and it's all the same face? That's what I thought they were doing here, and I was highly entertained. Oops.

In other news, Spike is stupid. Remember way back in School Hard when he figured Angel out and angrily shouted, "You think you can fool me?" Well, obviously Angel thought so because he's been so successful at it so many times in the past. I mean, yeesh. Seriously. I think Angel's guard should have been up. I think they had ample room to show Angel doing things that Spike could interpret as sadistic, but they didn't, and it just made everyone look stupid.

One point of contention, though: apparently everyone thinks Lawson's line about "blah blah blah, only your führer could come up with something like this, blah blah" was about experimenting on demons. What? Why would he care? I thought it was pretty obvious that he was talking about (and seriously, I hate even typing this, hate hate hate) the Nazis using demons as an army, to help them win the war. And the irony, of course (hate hate hate) is that the US Government, the "good guys" are doing the same thing - using evil to help them win the war. Which is again brought up by Lawson's assertion that there's a difference between fighting to win (which includes using whatever means necessary, like utilizing something evil) and fighting because you're moral and you're trying to do the right thing. AND OF COURSE, this directly corresponds to the whole Wolfram and Hart thing. They're utilizing something evil because they want to win at all costs. But what are the costs? Apparently, the costs are that you become no better than Nazis.

Can I state again how much I fucking hate the "using the Nazis" concept? HATE HATE HATE. But, anyway, yeah, there you go. THIS WAS ALSO OBVIOUS. Which is why it was so unnecessary. We know all this already! So what's with the redundacy, and what's with the fucking Nazis? Jesus!

[End Spoiler]

I'm done now.

No comments: