Wednesday

Lost Review #1

Sorry if my title is confusing. I am not reviewing the show "Lost" - though I have been watching that regularly. It's a great show! All should watch! Hail Lost!

Anyway, I have two more Angel episodes taped, so I figured I should fill in my reviews gap with what I have. I was also going to tape the last seven episodes of Angel (starting yesterday) but I'm an imbecile. I taped "Shells," but this afternoon, when I wandered in my room to shut off the tape at 6PM, the television was off. I can only assume right now that when the episode started, I hit "Power" instead of "Rec." Because I am apparently a functional retard.

Zombie foot is doing better. I'm up to 17 pictures! That I still can't show anyone. Blast you Windows 98!!!

In addition, I miss the boy. It's okay, he knows. But I think I'm going to have to ask some of you people to go back to being long distance, so I don't feel so isolated ated ated ated.

I have made cookies three times within the last month.

[Begin Spoiler for Soul Purpose — Highlight to view]

Well that was certainly interesting! I believe I liked it. I definitely liked the ideas contained within, but if I have trouble, it's probably with the execution. Directed by David Boreanaz! Man! Is that a first? That was ... odd. I'm not sure how to describe the style as being other than "disjointed" or "quirky." Not bad, but definitely underexperienced. Although, knowing what I know of David Boreanaz himself (courtesy of quotes at TWoP) this makes perfect sense. So ... alright!

I liked Lindsey, but it was hard. I didn't like the strip bar or whatever they were in in the beginning. And I didn't like that Lindsey was all showing up there proffering his business. When he was all "I'm Doyle" I thought, Oh Lindsey. First I had to stop and rewind to make sure he'd actually said that. Those bitter fans from Season One are so gone, man. So gone. You can never get them back. But I was intrigued. At first I thought, "Does he even know who Doyle is?" Sometimes I forget how long Lindsey has been on this show. I also like that Angel didn't find out about this shocking twist in this episode. They're saving it. Good work, I want to see what comes of that.

Following. I like the parallels of Spike and Season One Angel. I knew what they were doing, but it was nice and subtle. Except for the double-staking action, there were no iconic repetitions. And when Gunn and Wesley came to Spike peddling their wares, they were so like the smirking suits of old. And I wasn't even distracted with complaints of "oh, this is out of character" because they're really weren't. They had their motives that they weren't fully divulging, but according to Gunn and Wesley, they were the same people they'd always been, out to do some good.

And I very nearly enjoyed Spike again in this episode. I like that he replied "Well what did you expect?" to the girl he saved. It was like, "Hey, I recognize that guy." Of course, all the follow-up to that I didn't like. He lost that aura again. And I think in the whole episode, we went back and forth between Spike of Old and Spike Nouveau. It was kind of okay, and still kind of not. And the "Buffy" scene made me sad. Yes, I know, Angel's hallucination and all that, but, geez. No wonder Gellar didn't want to do a guest spot on the show.

The hallucinations were interesting. Took up a lot of time, and didn't reveal much and probably were over-used, but they were okay. "Thank you, bear!" Heeeee! For some reason, I think that is the greatest line ever. It's so random, and Amy Acker's delivery is just perfect.

Eve continues to exist. God! Why! And we now, apparently, know ... everything we need to about Lindsey. Well. That was quick. Honestly, I would have been okay with a tiny bit more suspense and not as much upfrontness, but then again, the season is half over at this point. Oh well. It's hard to make speculation about what has already happened (everyone reading knows if I'll be right or not) but I seriously hope his only interest in Eve is using her. I hope he winds up selling her down the river. Not only does she deserve it, but she's stupid and annoying and deserves it. And I would feel much better about Lindsey if he didn't have any serious interest in her.

And as for their little game, I'm glad Angel at least is starting to figure it out. It would be very annoying to have Eve lead them around when we know what she's saying is diversionary bullshit. And they are so stupid!! I swear to God, I wanted to slap all of them. Why are they listening to her? Why do they care? Why are there no warning lights going off? She tells Gunn that the Senior Partners don't know what's going on and are confused. Well my eyebrow just shot right up. This is the Senior Partners, yes? Who we've always been given to believe are Not Of The Earth? Why is it not completely obvious that she's lying? When everyone is working on important pressing issues, she tries to get them to focus on some little thing that she found and no one cares about. Why is this not completely obvious? She tells Fred her feet are being burned. Would you like some salve? An ointment? So? Blaaaahhhh. I can't stand it when the characters are so stupid. I hope Eve dies badly. Maybe I'd feel differently if she were portrayed by another actress.

Now for some shallow observations! I missed doing these. Harmony was wearing whore makeup for this entire episode. What was up with that? Also, I found it funny that she was also sporting Buffy's hair from Superstar. Commentary? Also, I got distracted by David Boreanaz's shiny shiny fingernails. In Anne Rice books, vampires are supposed to have shiny shiny fingernails, so I wondered if they were jumping on that bandwagon. But then I thought, David Boreanaz seems like the kind of dude that gets manicures. And perhaps Angel is too, you never know. Also, Harmony said "on accident" in this episode. Do people really say that? I must ask because I know I've said it, but I thought I was creating a new phrase or something. People say "on purpose" but they say "by accident." I determined once that "on accident" sounded completely cute, so I said it. I didn't know that it was an actual ... thing that people said.

[End Spoiler]

And on that note ... night all.

No comments: