Monday

Radio Update.

So, I've been listening to the radio when I drive in my car. Which I do now at least three days a week. My life is so on the edge, I know.

I have become very enamored of WRXP, 101.9, the erstwhile smooth jazz station. Now The Rock Experience!

Today I heard Death Cab For Cutie on the radio for the first time ever. That's right! First time ever. Also, the White Stripes. And! They played a U2 song that I don't think I've heard before, and it made me not hate U2 for a little while.

(About that, I don't actually hate U2. But have you noticed how everyone is all about U2 all of a sudden? And about how they're apparently the greatest band in the history of the world forever in the whole world? It's driving me crazy. Because - no. You're overdoing the praise. Having "In The Name Of Love" be the only song you ever play does not help. See also: Van Halen.)

The DJs actually talk about the music and concerts that they went to and stuff like that. BUT. Importantly, they do it quickly, keep it to around a minute, and then get back to playing music. Except today one of them was talking about his divorce, and it was really awkward.

Also, someone in that studio is in love with the song "Time To Pretend" by MGMT. I hear it all the freaking time. (My history with that song: I got it free off a music website and decided I didn't really care for it. Then, later, A. sent it to me along with another of their songs. Because he didn't know! The second song made the first one sound a lot better. Ugh. But! Now that I keep hearing it, I don't mind it. It's everywhere, though! Moonlight used a lyric for an episode title. Speaking of which - [single cold tear for Moonlight].)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm surprised you've not heard Death Cab on the radio before. There was a time last year when the station we listen to in my office played "Soul Meets Body" at least twice every hour.

It's not really all of a sudden that everyone is all about U2, is it? Hasn't that been for like, years? Although I LOVED two of their early records (Boy and War), I have hated them since The Joshua Tree and its plodding, sound-alike, inexplicably popular singles.

Also, I had never heard of MGMT. But I just googled them and apparently they're from Brooklyn? Which means that's probably a good thing.

Kirk said...

What the hell is MGMT?

I still like U2, bravely, in the face of others' caustic remarks (Jenny). The Joshua Tree is a great album, as is Achtung Baby. Though I'm with Jenny on one thing--people are all about U2 *now*?? Any 'greatest band' things I ever heard about them were several years ago, at least. Anyway, I think alot of the hating is down to people hating Bono as this ubiquitous-phenomenon-life-form; about that, I'm neutral.

Amy said...

Jenny - that's what I'm talking about! This is my problem with the radio around here! There's, like, nothing!

And, I don't know, it's not that no one has ever made a big deal out of U2 before, but it seems like recently it's been amped up for no reason I can readily determine.

I only found out about MGMT recently, but, really, this one song of theirs is on this station all the time.