Saturday

The white stripe.

As I may have mentioned once or several times, my hair has a fair amount of gray in it. My first gray hair was discovered by my friend Jennifer as she was sitting behind me in English class. It was the length of a normal hair. I was 16. When I was 19 I realized that there were, you know, quite a few, so maybe I should do something about it. I plucked the ones I could find. I cut that out a few years ago as it might have made me bald.

Happily, the majority of it is in the front, and I've developed a sort of stripe on one side. I say happily because while I imagine this would freak out some people, I think it's neat. I look like Rogue. Or sometimes you can't really see it and I just look like a person with hair.

hair!

My sister has been taken many opportunities to tell me that I need to get it "covered up". I hate that. Aside from the fact that I have never dyed my hair (at least with anything other than lemon juice and sunlight), I don't want to start because I have to "cover up the gray." I mean, what am I, old? Actually having gray hair doesn't make me feel old. Probably because it doesn't make me look old, which I understand is the chief problem with it, societally. It just makes me look like what I am: a young person with gray hair. Having to run to the hairdresser's because my roots are showing, though, would depress the hell out of me.

A few times I've wondered about dying it hot pink or something equally bold. Because if I'm going to dye my hair, I want it to be clear that it was because I wanted to, not because I had to. I never followed through on it because: 1. I tied up with the logistics, even though I could probably just ask Annika, and 2. I'm worried that the establishment might freak. (I KNOW! Shit, maybe I am old.)

I mention this because GUESS WHAT. I'm getting my hair done next week! At a very skilled and expensive place! FOR FREE! And whilst there, I am totally going to get my hair colored. I'm so completely nervous*. What should I have them do? I don't want them to ruin my youthful gray.


*I'm more worried about this than the fact that I'm getting approximately 16 inches of my hair cut off, just to put this in perspective.

5 comments:

Mindi Scott said...

I was going to talk about hair color stuff. But then I read to the end and all I can think of now is: sixteen inches!!!!!

Wow.

Stephanie said...

16 inches!

I wish my grays formed a stripe. I think that would be pretty cool. I've never covered them up, but when my mom decided to spring for a professional haircut and style (1st and only one in the past 15 years), I did get some highlight-y type things that I suppose covered one or two. I've never found it to be an issue for me. But I wonder how I will feel when I have even more than I do now. Probably the same, but you never know.

Have fun getting your hair done!

gingeost

Kirk said...

I say take the Rogue thing and run with it.

enteloge

Enteloge: a fifth cousin of the antelope, found mainly in Wyoming and parts of Montana.

Annika said...

Will it shock you if I vote for pink?

Lauren said...

WHAT.

...pictures before and after?

(I don't think I've even had sixteen inches of hair since I was, like, six.)