A while back, Annika wrote in her blog an entry that I thought was truly cool. Really! I'm still talking about it! I'm sad that it didn't get more replies.
Today I discovered that I have liked a narrowly defined genre of music without even realizing it. (Though, to be fair, the boy pointed this out to me about a month ago.) It turns out that if you write a song about St. John the Divine, I will probably like it and listen to it a lot. It also turns out that this applies to a lot more songs than you would suspect!
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - St. John the Divine (not technically a song about the man himself, for the most part)
Neko Case - John Saw That Number (even though she name drops John the Baptist, this song is actually about the guy who wrote Revelations)
Son House - John the Revelator (best bluesman ever)
The New Pornographers - All The Old Showstoppers (took me a while to discover this one, but there you go - same dude)
I'm sure there are more! I don't know what to make of this! Besides imaginary fanvids about Locke!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"John the Revelator" is an amazing song. The first time I heard it I felt simultaneously ecstatic and creeped out, which is one of my favorite combinations. I then immediately went out and bought a Son House record, and it's hard to argue with that "best bluesman" tag, although a strong case can be made for Robert Johnson. I mean, dude sold his soul to Satan, he's gotta come away with something, right?
But Amy dear, you've triggered one of my pet peeves: the final book of the Bible is sometimes called Revelation, or the Revelation of John, or the Apocalypse of John, or (in my version) the Revelation of St. John the Divine, but never a plural "Revelations".
I'm afraid you have been tagged. It's much like a deadly virus, being bitten by a vampire or becoming one of the living dead army of zombies.
See details here:
http://www.heathallyn.com/human/001667.shtml
Jenny - I am also a fan of Robert Johnson. However, in The Original Delta Blues, Son House sounds like he's going to drop dead any second, and that edges it out for me. Plus, he went to prison for shooting a man. He may or may not have sold his soul to the Devil, but he did up the blues lifestyle the way it should be.
Also. I'm sorry! I'm not a good Catholic. I had to drag up from the depths of my memory that John the Baptist and John the Apostle aren't the same person. Who may or may not be the same person as John the Divine.
Post a Comment