So, I've been spending a lot of time out of my house lately, which has led me to exploring some of the functions on my iPod. Turns out that iTunes will automatically compile a playlist of the songs that you listen to most often ... so that you can listen to them more often.
I checked out my list. And it was odd. It's not an entirely accurate system. Turns out that if you take a song off your iPod and then put it back on, it will reset the count. Ditto if you change the file name. Also, it counts a "play" as reaching the end of the track, and sometimes I will skip back to the beginning of a song if I want to hear it again, so songs with long fade outs are under-represented. And a whole bunch of other explanations and excuses.
Anyway, as it stands, these are the songs I've played the most, on my iPod:
Love Song To My Guru - Katell Keineg with The Floors
(Fair. I've listened to this a million times.)
That's All Right, Mama - Arthur Crudup
(Really? It's catchy, but this is a surprise showing.)
Pistol - Dustin Krensue
(Fair. I love this song.)
I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie
(Fair. Embarrassingly enough.)
Portions For Foxes - Rilo Kiley
(True story: I didn't like this song at all when I first heard it, and then something clicked, and I listened to it all the time.)
Challengers - The New Pornographers
(Neko Case sing so pretty.)
All That I Want - The Weepies
(I haven't listened to this since Christmastide. This list is out of date!)
Endless Sleep - Jody Reynolds
(Surprising!)
From Where I'm Standing - Schuyler Fisk
(Jenny's right, she has a really pretty voice.)
Freedom Is Only A Hippogriff Away - The Mudbloods
(The only Wizard Rock song on the list! Seriously though, this is an excellent song even if you don't know Harry Potter from a hole in the ground.)
All The Old Showstoppers - The New Pornographers
(Hee! I just talked about this! I suspect stuffed ballots.)
Backwater Blues - Dave Van Ronk
(Again, really? Then again, there was a playlist that I had to listen to for a while because I was MAKING A CD FOR SOMEONE, and this was on it.)
Someday You Will Be Loved - Death Cab For Cutie
(Oy. In my defense, this would make a great fan video that I'll never make.)
Hiding In Plain Sight - Lauren Hoffman
(I'm surprised she's not better represented - I listened to her A LOT a while back.)
We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives - Los Campesinos!
(Hee!)
Paperweight - Schuyler Fisk and ... some dude.
(No really, she sings pretty.)
Keep On The Sunny Side - The Whites
(Again, hee!)
Australia - The Shins
(Yup. Totally fair.)
I've Just Seen A Face - The Beatles
(Really?)
Both Hands - Ani DiFranco
(Utterly fair.)
Expectations - Belle And Sebastian
(Fair.)
The Engine Driver - The Decemberists
(I guess? Although I've listened to "Yankee Bayonet" so many more times, I think.)
1234 - Feist
(Really?)
So Long - Guster
(I guess so!)
Diggin' My Potatoes - Lonnie Donegan
(Hee! Hee! Hee!)
Um. So, geez. What this playlist tells me is that I'm really fucking maudlin. And that I may have the Blues. What the hell?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow. So many artists I've never heard of! I feel so sheltered.
But! you've totally given me something to blog about today!
And the word verification is the longest, most bizare I've seen in a while: uppgopqu
What is with the embarrassment over Death Cab? It makes me sad. Death Cab rocks.
Also: "Some Guy" = Josh Radin, I think.
Also ALSO: I am a dumbass and let the link to that other Shuyler Fisk song expire, so I will be downloading it tonight. Durr.
Lauren, Death Cab For Cutie is a stone's throw from emo. It's true. I'm sorry.
HA HA HA HA HA!!!
I clicked here only to read the comments, but must leave one because the word verification this time 'round is:
emofa
I'm with Lauren here. I have the album* those Death Cab songs are from, which is quite excellent. (Also, I never quite twigged what 'emo' is. And what's the opposite of emo--Kraftwerk?)
*Amy, consult the archives for what an 'album' is.
Hm. I seem to have that album as well. And although it was purchased some time before last November, it looks like most of the songs have only been listened to 3 times. But I was pretty sure I liked it. Maybe this just shows that I have a habit of buying music and then forgetting about it.
Also, I think if you don't really know what emo is, it's perfectly okay to listen to it and enjoy it. I keep myself deliberately ignorant, so I'm free to listen to what I choose without worry.
Okay, but they were emo before emo sucked. Thus, still awesome.
Post a Comment