Before we begin, I should note that I've never made a fan video in my life.
However, it seems that, alongside all the ideas for stories and songs and figurines, I now have a healthy amount of ideas for fan videos.
I don't know that much about fan videos. I was first introduced to the concept through Jewels from the WD. At one of the first WD parties I went to she pulled out of a tape of vids she had made. The gist is, you take a song, and make a sort-of music video for it using scenes from a given fandom. Or what have you. You can use it to illustrate a story in the canon, or fabricate your own based on the fact that Spike and Willow were clearly meant to be. Ahem. You know.
I don't know anything about the conventions of making fanvids or the community of fanvidders, and even less about how I would go about creating one myself. I imagine it would have something to do with torrents, and, most likely, getting a new computer. My computer barely loaded this page, honestly. I don't know anyone that I can really ask about it, either. Yet, every time I listen to certain songs, I can't help but mentally put certain scenes to it. It's not fair! I like those songs by themselves!
I've idly wondered if I could just commission someone who does this sort of thing to make them for me. Heaven knows I'm probably never going to get around to it. After knitting and making jam and reading Harry Potter for the fiftieth time, I don't imagine I'll have enough drive. Or boredom.
So, here's a list of all the fan videos I never made.
Lord of the Rings - Kashmir, by Led Zeppelin
If you can't figure out how to set LoTR to Led Zeppelin, then you're just not trying. The idea itself makes me giggle. It's a long-ass song, but there's also material from three long-ass movies. I'm not sure what the actual content would be like, but, you know, elves and Ents, that sort of thing.
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
Who talk of days for which they sit and wait
Lord of The Rings - Wayfaring Stranger, by Neko Case
The same thing, really, only this one would be a little more slowed down and moody. Shots of everyone clambering on rocks, Sam crying, stuff like that. The plunky pseudo-Celtic music is what sells it.
I am a poor wayfaring stranger
A'traveling through this word below
But there's no sickness toil or danger
In that bright land to which I go
Lost - John Saw That Number, by Neko Case
It would be completely brilliantly hilariously full of Locke and religious symbolism. Plus, John did see that number! All over the island! This is probably the one I think about the most, because I guess I think it's the most feasible. And since the end of the current season, there would be a lot more material to scavenge. I was so excited when Locke called someone a Pharisee in an episode. Between that and the Jupe-cast, I'm having paranoid suspicions that the show's creators are listening in on my thoughts. I would have said Desmond, but.
John saw that number
Way in the middle of the air
Crying 'Holy! Holy to the Lord!'
Star Wars - Angel, Won't You Call Me?, by the Decemberists
This one would be all about Anakin and Padmé. I KNOW! I know. It's so embarrassingly bad. But at least I would be guaranteed to tell the story better than George Lucas. DON'T JUDGE ME.
Though I am a lost cause
Angel won't you call me?
Battlestar Galactica - Reasons To Fall, by Lauren Hoffman
This one just happened, and is the reason I made this post in the first place. It would be about Kara. And ... anybody, really. Maybe Lee. But mostly Kara.
No, you're gonna wait 'til the moment is certain
While I've been out searching for reasons to fall
That's it! I was pretty sure I had at least one more, but I can't think of it. It might have been another iteration of LoTR + Zeppelin, though, so maybe we're better off.
Thursday
Let me tell you about my fan videos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm glad you posted about your fanvid ideas, so we can imagine them even if you never get around to making them!
The one you forgot is probably "Ramble On". I mean, duh.
DUDE!!
I do the same thing!
Fanvids are the best thing about youtube, really. Or, at least, the good ones are.
Anyway, I think that a lot of the album "Nothing's Shocking" by Jane's Addiction could be fanvid-ed into Lost videos. I mean, "Ocean Size" is totally a Hurley song. And "Had A Dad" could be just about anyone from that show.
But seriously, with nearly every song I hear lately, my mind attempts to build a fanvid idea around it.
Anyway, if you imagine any more, feel free to share them. They're fun to imagine.
And lastly, gmwjamuu. Really!
DOH!! That above comment was me, not the Steph.
Post a Comment